Saturday 24 April 2010

Battle Warrior


My wife had a baby on Monday: we call him Warrior. You gotta be a warrior in this world; sometimes with words; sometimes with prayers; sometimes with fists.

He has a big forelock of white hair. A distinct birthmark that flows back at least four generations in my family . I was worried at first. Nobody likes to get teased, and this mark will provide a lot of fodder (I know). Playground bullies can be rough. My oldest son said: "They can tease him; can't stop that, but how many kids have two big brothers that are going to be at least 6'5. They won't tease him long, or often".

French added: "Yeah any of these lads get in trouble and ol'Uncle French will show up".

I feel better.

Post Script:

French's boy is doing well. He is playing Lacrosse, so we'll check on him this summer. Bruce Fish promised to build a playground in the dump for all my sons to play in. This could be fun summer.

Post Post Script:  Warrior is good - almost a year old.



Check out this fine place:

http://canvaschild.blogspot.com/2011/04/imperfect-prose-on-thursdays-on-why-i.html

13 comments:

Unknown said...

ollie - great post. your characters dance in my mind.

Anonymous said...

OO -
did you really bring another Olie Jr. into the world? Congrats if thats true. Maybe start him off with a good pour of your Beau's into his bottle. Sleepy Time!

HP

Brother Ollie said...

Yes, Gunnar Olson, has joined the show.

Anonymous said...

Gunnar! I like it. Sounds like he might be a bit a scrapper down the road, better warn the lads at the day care and put a few bucks aside for the expanding grocery bill in your house.

Nicely Done!

HP

Carrie Van Horn said...

Karma is a beautiful thing Ollie....you were there for him, and now he will be there for you and yours....love this story! :-)

Brian Miller said...

glad french has his back...kids can be pretty cool...raise him a warrior...

Joybird said...

Warrior is cute and got to love tough big brothers. I don't have any but I was and am a fierce big sis. And I like the new about me descrip.

Rachel said...

I like your picture also, so cute, congratulations. Keep creating story, Have a blessed week.

SL Burlhis said...

What a beautiful baby!!!!

Kati patrianoceu said...

haha... I was thinking that was a very mature-looking newborn in the photo. Congratulations on his upcoming end-of-first-year!

Mommy Emily said...

oh, i love this personal look into your life, ollie, and the love with which you tell warrior's story and the fear that every parent can relate to, the fear of their child being hurt... and the way your other son stood up for his little brother. sigh. and how bruce is going to build a playground in the dump. classic storytelling, as always. thank you.

Anna said...

Happy Birthday to your one year old warrior! Loved your post. I knew someone in college who also had that same birthmark; she was beautiful, a dancer, the daughter of missionaries, and I am reminded of her through your post today-- so, thanks for sharing your story, and for the happy memories of a nice friend a few years back!

Unknown said...

I have that same birthmark and I would love to think there is a special meaning to it