Monday 9 August 2010

Garth Brooks Friends


Pancake often calls Bruce Fish our Garth Brooks friend: "I've got friends in low places....". This is a reference , or rib, to his job at the dump. I think it is excellent to "know someone" at the dump.

I went to the dump after a few days at the cottage and a new guy was working. Bruce Fish was at home with Rose (she had just given birth). This new guy wanted to know where my dump tags were; after closely inspecting my garbage bags. With a big grin on his face he said: "The rule is one tag per bag - and each tag is a buck - and you have to buy them in units of ten - and you have to be a property owner in the county to buy them - and the stickers need to be clearly affixed to each bag". Son of a bitch.

Bruce Fish never checked for tags with me; good deal. This substitute dump dude was in his glory. A true bureaucrat of the dump. I went in to town and bought some tags. The dump was closed when I got back.

I went back a few weeks later with dump tags. Bruce Fish was insulted that I had bought the tags. I hung them on the fridge and there they'll stay.

4 comments:

Ben Maynard said...

What an incredible story. I look forward to the next one!

Anonymous said...

Waste management is a strange animal, you'd think you wanted to give them leprosy.

I ran into the same problem from time to time, in Leeds and Grenville Township. I had a simple solution. I gift wrapped it, put it my unlocked car and parked besides the social services building.

POOT

Fisheye Lens said...

rubbish red tape -- soils the reputation of the whole industry

Anonymous said...

Good post OO.
I'm not much for bureaucratic slow downs these days. We need more guys like Bruce.

hp