Friday 13 July 2012

On Prayers and Hot Rods


I have a long history of having a very ambivalent relationship with the Church.  I certainly have not been a faithful person, or a faithful Christian.  In fact, I have spent most of my life embittered against God.   This summer I've had a few more of those ancient glacial ice chips knocked from my shoulders. I've seen prayers answered.  

I've spoken with people who have asked God for very specific help.  One guy even quit his job and asked God to send him a partner who was interested and willing to start up a Christian Ministry.  The idea was to acquire a garage and teach youth how to make hot rods.  I was there when his prayers were answered.  There were four of us talking about this concept.  One of them agreed to stay and be a partner on this project even though he was just visiting from Australia.  This Australian guy has over ten years of experience working in youth ministry, and he is an avid motorcycle enthusiast with all the required skills. 

The third guy offered them access two different garages.  He'd bought a property in a nearby town that came with a shop.  It was even complete with a beam for an engine hoist and a selection of tools and welding equipment.  He also had a lead on another vacant garage in another town.

These two guys could have this idea up and running in the fall.

Coincidence right?   A blessing right?

So it all comes down to faith: faith in Jesus, or faith in chance.  Which one takes more faith?


9 comments:

erin said...

i think there are other forms of faith too that come into play. one of them is a faith in humankind. this is perhaps one of the most difficult forms of faith, isn't it?

there is also a faith (and i am only thinking this out as i go) in getting an answer, from the world, from god, from humankind, as we ask. we get nothing if we don't ask and we have nothing to lose by asking except a security from disappointment, but if we can redefine disappointment, really meaning that if we can reach acceptance, then we need never be disappointed. it is all a startling opportunity.

but it does seem to be a human reflex to have our faith wear particular clothing, hence the vast array of religions. i don't think this is wrong. i think sometimes we need our faith to have a face.

i'm glad your friend received an answer. i hope he does not stop asking questions:)

xo
erin

erin said...

conversely))) i think (and this might be closer to your point) it takes an equal amount of faith in nothing to be an atheist. the fervor and absolute knowledge associated with any belief or absolute nonbelief is, it seems to me, equal. we must all acknowledge that we are only ever deriving truths based on our limited perceptions. (oh! this might cause some trouble, eh?)

xo
erin

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Erm, I put my faith in the luck of chance.

I was brought up in a very loving Christian housedhold (father worked for a missionary society and was a laypreacher) but I never found 'my faith' and my parents never tried to ram it down my neck.

I can understand how those with a prayer apparently answered see this as a strengthening of faith, of belief - but even as a young thing I could not help but see those who had very little and their prayers were never answered...

Anna :o]

happygirl said...

I've made a decision to start looking for the hand of God (or Jesus or Holy Spirit or angels) in my life. I think you can call it chance or kismet, too. I think the key is keeping your eyes open for your higher power working in your life and taking the focus off of yourself. For me, that hp is God. I think stories like this happen more often than we notice. Thanks for noticing and sharing.

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Old Ollie,

What cool answers to prayer! I have seen him do amazing things too that cannot be explained away.

Thanks for your honest wrestling.

Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Brandee Shafer said...

All I can tell you, Friend, is this: from the bottom of my honest heart, there are days I wouldn't be able to get out of bed if I didn't believe not only in the existence of God, but also in His care of and for me.

Brandee Shafer said...

P.S. Have you read #3 in the link up? I think you'll appreciate it...

enthusiastically, dawn said...

I appreciate that you are struggling. I relate to ambivalence. I so relate. I have a long history of arguing with God. Actually. Not proud, just sayin'! I think being real is key and instrumental to getting to the heart of truth on any matter.
It all comes down to keeping it real, and faith is taking a chance on God after all, isn't it? Hmmm...

Mommy Emily said...

wow. i love this. and i think it has a lot to do with how we choose to see life. we can choose to see it with an eternal perspective, as a gift from a heavenly father, or we can choose to see things as random. but if we do the latter, we miss the miracle of it all.