Monday 7 January 2013

Rose's Bible Challenge

Rose has been pushing Bible studies on us guys for years.  She actually has a box of Bibles at the ready at her house; she buys them in bulk.  She is gifting them constantly.  This past  year she used our competitive nature to see who could read the the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice in one year.  We all took on Rose's challenge.

Bruce Fish dropped out early.  He says he gets plenty enough Bible just living with Rose.  Pancake says he lost his Bible in church at Easter.  Sweaty gave it up once summer started.  By mid summer I was about 30 days behind in the reading plan.  I mentioned this to French.  I was shocked to hear that he was still on pace in mid August, so I caught up.

Once work started I fell way behind again; this time by 40 days.  I saw French sitting in his truck in late November.  He was reading his tattered Good News Bible he'd gotten when he was confirmed.  He was smoking a cigarette.  French exhaled and said:  "I'm on pace buddy. You?"  There was only a month to go, and I still had to reread the New Testament and a some of the Psalms.  I just couldn't let French beat me.

I finished just a bit late: Jan. 6th.  French beat me by a week, but Rose is so proud.


A creative way to get a coupla louts to read the Bible eh? 

11 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

This made me tear up a little. A late Christmas gift for Rose...and for you and French, too. Did it change you, the reading? Please do share. (I dropped out of the chronological plan I was following early in the year.) I wish I could hug all of you...

happygirl said...

I have never done this. Never. I've tried. I've started. I've quit. I agree with Brandee. I wish I could hug you both. :)

Terri D said...

Awesome. Good you Rose, and good for you all!!

Brian Miller said...

ha this is really cool actually...had read in a year...and its great to have that wing man to keep you in check as well...

HopeUnbroken said...

jealous. and inspired. i'm about 2/3 of the way through, but then got bogged down. now i'm gonna finish, i'm thinking :-)
steph

Unknown said...

Oh, the joys of life with all our quirks. Thank you, your post gave me a much needed smile in my heart today!
Blessings
Mia

HisFireFly said...

God will use anything, even a competitive nature to get us to cherish His Word!

Lisa notes... said...

That Rose is a smart one, I must say! But hey, whatever works. :-) Glad that God uses even the competitive spirits in us to draw us to Him.

Kelli Woodford said...

you bring such a unique perspective to things that tend to get bogged down in religious jargon and stale adjectives. thankful for your face at IP. blessings on your journey.

Mommy Emily said...

oh that Rose. she sure knows how to school her boys :)

Ramblings by Carol Nuckols said...

I'm reading the Bible all the way through for the first time. Not trying to do it in a year, though, and no competition. I've read about 3/4 of it now. King James Version. Perseverance pays off.