Wednesday 11 December 2013

Offended by Jesus

I teach World Religion.  I"ve taught high school students about how one becomes, and the nature of being, a Hindu, a Buddhist, a Sikh, and a Jew.  Next up was Christianity.  I put in the time and really prepped some good materials to explain the Gospel Message, and how believing it, and forming a relationship with Jesus is what makes a person a Christian.

The class become very heated.  Quite a few students, who usually don't say much, had a lot of criticisms of the theology I was teaching.  I was ready for the lesson, but less than ready to defend this unexpected emotional reaction.

I was naive.  They class took in, and accepted with out question, such concepts as: non-linear time, enlightenment, and reincarnation.  However, when it came to the Gospel the class erupted.  I calmed the class down, and pushed on through.  I told them the course didn't demand that they accept the Gospel, just that they know what defines a Christian.

I spoke with French afterwards and he saw that I was a bit rattled.  He said: "Brother the Gospel is offensive.  We murdered God over it".

4 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

Interesting reactions. French was right. Grace is offensive. We're using to having to earn what we get. We don't like to think we need mercy....

Brandee Shafer said...

Merry Christmas, Friend. I miss every word you don't write.

Mommy Emily said...

WOW. This just gave me goosebumps. YES. And how many of us Christians truly get the gospel? The impracticality of it all? The call to die to self? It is HARD stuff. "We murdered God over it." LOVE that.

Unknown said...

Hi Ollie
I always tell my husband that once we realize who the one is who veils the minds of unbelievers, it is not surprising that the Gospel of Jesus brings offense. What can be more "degrading" than to admit how lost and unable we are to save ourselves.
Blessings XX
Mia