Wednesday 17 September 2014

Closing Time

It was cottage closing time this past weekend.  Cold, and rainy too.  It was also dump closing day as well. So French and I hurried up, so we could catch a few minutes with Bruce and Rose Fish.

Bruce Fish was in a chipper mood, even though he was mucking out a dump.  I asked him why he was so happy sorting trash and recycling in the cold pouring rain.  He let me know. Turns out a local farmer had hired him to clean out his "old tip" as he called it.  There was decades of ancient trash, and all kinds of mechanical farm debris. There were even old cars with trees growing up through them.  Bruce pulled it out and brought four truck loads to the dump.

Rose walked by a threw an big gear up onto their truck, and said "that is the last of it".  Bruce and Rose had sorted and set aside all the salable metal.  They planned on driving it into Kingston that afternoon and sell it all for a tidy amount.

Bruce said: "sorry lads we gotta run.  There's at least 700 bucks a metal here."

As the drove out Bruce yelled: "God is Good."  French responded "all the time."

2 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

Love this story.

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

Yes, I too like this story. It is a lek at life, a natural to the end of summer, a place that we each are in the northern hemisphere. Good to see you Ollie.

I am still writing at Noh Where (or I will be soon I hope). But I am also using Blogger for photography at: mydowntownblog here:

http://mydowntownblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/inside.html

Please come by and see me. Thanks, Liz