Thursday 22 January 2009

Chris 2.0

I've been through a really wild swing of faith over the years. This comes from growing up United, attending an evangelical camp for many years (15 years/Camp IAWAH), getting a degree in religion (mainly psychology of religion, Jung, Freud, and world religion), I even practised Buddhism because I became convinced that it was more practical than Christianity, I was married and attended Anglican church for the last twenty years and now I am a baptised member of the very evangelical Christian Missionary Alliance Church.

I tend to get really addicted, but oddly for a limited amount of time. My addictions go from really intense to a foggy memory over time.

I have been OCD/addicted to: Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Zen Buddhism, Smokes, booze, Gnostic Christianity, Mars Hill Sermons, Jack Kerouac, poetry, drawing, playing guitar, basketball (playing and viewing), the Ottawa Senators, Jim Morrison, Hockey Pools, Jimi Hendrix, Carl Jung, Ryan Adams, ebay, Facebook...when I'm in the midst of these addictions, they are pretty all encompassing. I, for a time, become a Jungian, or a Gnostic, or a Beat Poet. Luckily these passions fade and only take over my psyche for a time. I sometimes wonder when, or what the next fire brand of a concept will burn into my brain, and set me going. I also always hope that my next obsession will be a worthy and useful undertaking.

Right now I'm a Christian Apologist. Is this just another addiction, or is this the real thing?

I seem to be annoying some people with my Christian coloured responses, so they'll hope this passes, and I go back to being the guy that always knows the +/- of every forward in the NHL.

I'll let you know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baptized an evangelical? Yikes lol! Let's hope God will forgive you...and Haliburton...and Blackwater Private Military Firms and their evangelical founder Erik Prince. Anyway, glad to hear the family is doing well. Get those boys out shovelin'!

Anonymous said...

last post from the Dox

Matt McKechnie said...

whatever ollie. do you what ya gotta do. be who you gotta be.
matty