Monday 19 January 2009

Church (planting) Attending - 1

This old camp buddy called me up in the spring last year; he was planting a church and starting a revolution: to paraphrase him in all his zeal. This lad, JD,  is working hard raising a family and planning on taking on a massive undertaking: building a Christian Community.

At the time I was barely going to church. If I went, I was going in the most reluctant way. I'd fuss and screw around like a crazy teen, just like I used to with my buddy French - back in my youth.  Most of the time I'd sit and draw cartoons about what I heard. This would, maybe, be "charming" if I were 15 - I was 35.

When I was in church it felt like some sort of museum, or a social club for the over 50 set. It was a stagnant place, at least for me and my family.

I pondered what JD was doing and started to think about my stupid sinful attitude. I took on the task of making a step to rectify this situation. I looked for a new church online (modern man).  If some of my Christian friends of mine are planting churches I thought that I should at least be going to one. My wife agreed that we needed to move on as Christians and a build a better home/family life grounded in faith. The theme song of hell is "I did it my way"...we needed to be part of a Christian Community.

I chose Redeemer Alliance Church.

On the downside I 've done way less cartooning.

Revisted - Redited  - Reposted for...

12 comments:

alittlebitograce said...

Your stories always leave me wanting more. :)

Brian Miller said...

i think that we all do need that community...and glad you found yours...

tinuviel said...

Glad you have found a better church home for your family. May God bless them to you and vice versa.

Thanks for the kind comment on my site, as well.

SL Burlhis said...

Wait. I'm almost 23 and I still draw in church... what age will that stop being okay? Or did it already happen?

Brandee Shafer said...

Glad about the church. Sorry about the cartoons.

Brandee Shafer said...

Does Rose go to your church?

happygirl said...

I Did it my Way is the theme song of Hell. I need to find church, too. Still struggling and found your story so near to me. And, yet, I'm IN the over 50 crowd. *sigh*

Joybird said...

and the world has lost another great art talent to an engaging, life-giving energy filled community of God. So, so sad. ;)

Bethany Ann said...

you remind me so much of my hubby in this post that i feel compelled to edit it... and you did miss a few things. oh well. perfect. we love ya.

danrdavidson said...

yep.

Kati patrianoceu said...

I think the cartooning is perfectly fine! In fact, I'm impressed the cartoons were of things discussed in church. I don't really know how people sit still and pay attention, ever, really.

Mommy Emily said...

your heart is gold, ollie. i want this kind of community. i crave it. and i doodle too... at nearly 31... and i think it's charming :)