Friday 22 January 2010

The Dump Guru

Life would get a little boring without French. One summer he went on a Motorcycle tour of the States with his cousin, and his current girlfriend (he dumped her, literally, in New Mexico). I took a job at a summer camp; not quite as exciting as French's summer.

On my days off I'd usually go visit Bruce Fish. Once, I picked up Sweaty in my old Honda Civic and headed out to the dump. Sweaty thought it would be better to "screw the dump" and head right to the cottage.

Regardless, we popped in at the dump with a lot of complaining from Sweaty. Bruce fish was sitting by his little shelter using an old railway signal lantern to read by. There was a red light being cast over his face from his lamp. I noticed that there was a young lady with him. Bruce Fish said, "Allow me to introduce my lady friend, Rose". He added, with a big grin, "she is the rose of the dump". 

Sweaty said, "G'day, whatcha reading?"

Bruce Fish responded, "I'm reading the Bible...the good book...Revelations."

Sweaty started to laugh, but we all joined in the study as Bruce Fish read from his ragged Bible. He got to this part and got kinda stuck on it and kept reading the same part over and over: "He'll wipe your tears away...He'll wipe your tears away".

Rose had been quiet up to this time, but chimed in: "I like that part".

I agreed.

Sweaty and I said good-bye. As we were heading out Sweaty hung half his body out the moving car window and banged on the car door yelling: "See ya later ya old dump guru". Plus a couple "yeah babies!" for good measure.

Years later, I still see Bruce Fish and Rose Fish walking up the road heading for a days work at the township dump.


Story posted http://canvaschild.blogspot.com/ - check out these redemptive tales.

8 comments:

Square Corner said...

Another fine post about those folk who live on the margins. People like French, Fish, Rose...are all so interesting. Good imagination. Good work.

Rachel said...

Enjoyed stopping by your blog today,interesting telling of them reading Revelation. I especially liked that part of grace.

Elaine said...

I like that part too!

Leslie said...

he'll wipe your tears away...

my favorite part, too. good story-telling.

Brian Miller said...

smiles. ilove these little writes..just a hint, and its enough...until the tears are wiped away...

Mommy Emily said...

oh, this is so good... so good. i want to read it over and over. i love how organic the setting, and how truth just kind of arises from it all, and how lovable these characters... i want to join them and read these verses and say, "i like that part too." so good.

Joybird said...

More, more please.

alittlebitograce said...

yes, I also want more. Such an interesting tale.