Friday 4 June 2010

Sweaty's Monte Carlo SS - the mobile party.


Sweaty felt that he needed a car (a sweet ride) to level the playing field with French and his Mustang. Sweaty did so by getting a 1986 Burgundy Monte Carlo SS. It was big and pretty cool, but it wasn't a Mustang Cobra Jet.

Bruce Fish had the solution. He found a pair of huge wooden house speakers and a stereo system in the dump. Sweaty and Bruce installed them in the trunk of the Monte Carlo. Now it was sweet. Sweaty would role up to one of the many field parties, pop the trunk, pull out the speakers, set them up and crank some glorious hair metal. The first time he did it the crowd surge forward in awe and wonder to the sounds of Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer". Sweaty was the man!

One day we were heading home from a big bonfire. Sweaty, French, Pancake, Ollie (me), and a couple of girls piled on our laps drove down this old dirt road. It was really foggy and dark. Sweaty slowed down. He'd seen something ahead. He cautiously inched forward. We couldn't see a thing. He moved the car forward a bit more and there was a metallic bump and grinding sound. The car had hit a train. The train was going really slowly as it slid into town. He tried to back up, but we were hooked. We scrambled out of this two door death trap. I remember puling the last girl out as she screamed.

The car slowly got pulled under. As each wheel hit the car would be dragged further under. We watched in silence - looking at each other as each new piece of the Monte Carlo was destroyed. The car was getting eaten. As the wheels struck the trunk Sweaty yelled: "not my fucking speakers"!



4 comments:

Fisheye Lens said...

Great story. Shame to lose those sweet speakers.

Reminds me somewhat of a post-pub-escent night in Vancouver when I (fortunately) lost my car. While it was the least of my problems that night, locked in the trunk were the spanking new speakers I purchased earlier in the day. I was considerably more worried about the speakers than I was about the car.

Square Corner said...

Holy jumpin' catfish! Glad to see you made it out unscathed. I don't know about the rest of you bloggers, but after I read this post I went and hugged my speakers. Told 'em how much I care.
Good job.

Anonymous said...

I luvs my speakers!

Anonymous said...

Sad story. Feel I know this French. He knows what's important.

hp