Monday 31 May 2010

Church



French and I went to church together when we were teens. Our attendance was a bit hit or miss, but when we were both present we usually caused some hi jinx. We'd clap off beat, make up new actions for songs, or create actions to songs that didn't have actions, we also would balance hymn books in elaborate stacks, and more often than not sleep. French always said "that he came for the girls".

I was thus very surprised to see French at church on Sunday. I haven't seen him darken the door of a church since he was 18 - (he is 39 now). French had on a white shirt and a black tie, he sported a tweed jacket that I recognized as his father's (it fit a bit big on him), his pants were rumpled, and he had on his standard Chuck Taylors. He sat down with my family. He barely looked at me out the side of his sunglasses. I noticed that there was a cigarette behind his ear, and I could smell a warm boozy scent.

He waited for a bit and said: "I felt that I should live in community today".

I just said: "sure".

A few moments later he said: "I could use some baby therapy". My wife handed over my 6 week old son. French sat there for an hour just thinking and holding the baby. He never even stood for the hymns.

At the benediction he handed back the baby and slid out a side door.






8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hebrews 10:25
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

In the Lord,
POOT (President of Old Timers)

Square Corner said...

Sounds like French, with all his high living, has certain needs he isn't meeting. Like community and being grounded in something bigger than himself. Makes him all the more human and infinitly more interesting.

Anonymous said...

It's nice of French to give his time and forgiveness to all those church-going sinners.
John 10:34

hp

Brian Miller said...

i am glad french got what he needed that day...a little community is not a bad thing...

Joybird said...

You know, I just like French. There is something about him, even in your words, that is just...endearing and not in a condescending way. I just can't think of a word that really describes it better. I had a friend once, eccentric, honest, broken, stubborn, proud and often smelly but I loved him. We argued, we talked deep, eventually, after many years, we prayed and finally I sat alone for days at his bedside as he traveled Home. Somehow French reminds me of him and I want many of the same things for him that I wanted for my friend. Including community, peace, joy and someday a ticket Home.

Cathy said...

French is just French as the sky is the sky; we are who we are

Rachel said...

This was one of the best ones, at least for me maybe it is because I am ready for community again. Liked how he did not get up for the hymns.

Mommy Emily said...

He waited for a bit and said: "I felt that I should live in community today".

I just said: "sure".


ollie... you're better than any preacher. keep teaching me.