Wednesday 21 July 2010

The Dumpbot

The road up to the cottage is twisty - as you get over the crest of one curve you can see Bruce Fish's dump. Cars all slow down to see his latest display. This week he had five empty frames set up on easels. Behind each frame he had placed various items from the dump. Each "picture" or sculpture was created from some rare items from the dump. One was a robot made out of various electronics. It was amazing.

I head over to the dump most days while I'm staying at the lake. I try to time it so that Rose is there too. She bikes up with his lunch everyday.

When I drove up I noticed that the robot was gone from the day before. I thought "damn kids". I asked Bruce Fish about his missing art. He said: " It ain't missing bub, some old lad from Toronto bought it for $1000". He had jokingly said that he couldn't let it go for less than a grand. The "old lad" had handed him a stack of bills and said "deal".

We had some lunch. Sweet Rose had brought me a sandwich.  Rose kept her distance as we drank a cold lager.  When we were done drinking, she had us sit down and read us a chapter of Proverbs.  She then biked on back home.   Bruce Fish and I go started on making another robot.



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best $1000 I ever spent, but seriously, "old lad"? I'm younger than you.

Anyways, the robot sits in the front foyer to startle intruders, solicitors and jehovahs.

Poot

Fisheye Lens said...

"old lad" -- a brilliant, oxymoronic Bruce Fish-logism

Anonymous said...

Poot you scored some art!

Old lad = Lanarkism

Square Corner said...

Sounds like good old Fish is the Bill Gates of the dump. When robots take over the world, we will know where it started. Imaginative piece.

Anonymous said...

What a crew of innovators. With all this cool stuff, who wouldn't want to hang out at the dump?

I foresee the Dumpbot factoring in some stories in the future.

hp

tinuviel said...

What an interesting idea about the empty easels framing what's behind. Stories and art all around for the seeing.

Unknown said...

i want to visit this place. sweet story :)

Kati patrianoceu said...

What a great moment, a great nugget of life - and a good one at that. Thanks for your vignettes, they're always so fun.

Cindy said...

I love the picture of art in the dump...and how you pass it to go fishing...wonderful days well spent and sandwiches and beer to boot!

rjerdee said...

Fun, thanks for the smile on my face.

Mommy Emily said...

LOVE the combination of lagers with proverbs with robots. love it.

happygirl said...

One man's trash is another man's treasure. And you tell this in the best story. LOVE this. And now I'd like a beer.

Joybird said...

Go Bruce!