Thursday 7 October 2010

The Rules

French has been in a lot of trouble in his days.  I've been there as an observer, witness, participant; in those fist swinging moments.  I've waved to French as he waves back from the back of a cop car, but he has stayed out of trouble for the longest stint I can remember.

He still looks the rebel: sleeved, punkish hair, cowboy boots, and he sticks a cigarette behind his ear and ducks out for a butt as the bell rings at school.

I asked him - what gives? - How come he has kept it on the level the last few months?  He replied "the rules".  He continued:  "When I see trouble brewing I follow them religiously".

THE RULES

1.  Look surprised.
2.  Deny everything.
3.  Seem sincere.

I asked: "Those are the rules of life?"

French said: "No those rules are totally fucked for life, but they are to be followed at all times at work".

Fair Enough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a really good writer. Your writing style reminds me of Thomas King's. This blog is truly entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Olie. Seems fair enough. Work and life. How'd it become such a polarity?

Human Paradox said...

last comment from HP

Anonymous said...

That is a good question - work and life is currently a paradox.