Thursday 30 December 2010

Garage Beers

A lot of the family "talk" this Christmas was about the formula revealed in my last blog: the perfect woman is always 1/2 your age +10.  Things got a little heated because of this controversial formula and an uncle that excels and making cocktails...stiff ones.

When things got a little too hot too handle, in the kitchen, I'd see my grandpa disappear out to the garage.  I followed him out once.  He was having a smoke out the back door; and just hanging out with his bloodhound Carl.  Grandpa said that it was time I learned a lesson.  He pointed to an old Beach Industries Tool Box and said to bring it over.  It was heavy.

He looked all mysterious and said: "Now son open 'er up and pick one".  He had a serious look on his face.  This was surely some time honoured rite of passage.  I was not disappointed when I opened the case.  It was full of winter chilled beers.  They were mainly imports.  Grandpa started chucklin'  - "This emergency tool kit has helped me weather a few storms".

I picked one out.

Grandpa said: "Now pass that G.D. case over here".

5 comments:

Human Paradox said...

Good stuff. Your Gramps sounds like the salt of the earth. Let's get together for a few in the New year.
Pull them, chilled, out of a tool box.

Fisheye Lens said...

Luckily I had a few Stellas stashed away in my old man's garage this Season. Like Grandpa, its wise to plan ahead when escape from domestic ennui is essential.

Anonymous said...

garage beers. this is a song waiting to be written. great blog, ollie. thanks for your kind words.
mdog

Frangipan said...

Grandpa's always have lots of wisdom to offer!

The Square Corner said...

Your writing is gettin so good, its scary. Nicely done!!