Tuesday 25 January 2011

Cup o' Tea in the Shed

It was -29 yesterday.  Back home, when it was that cold, I'd look to see if French's shed had smoke coming out of the chimney.  It was a great place to warm up.  I was walking home late one night from Pancake's place; I saw smoke rising, and  flickering light in the window.  I hopped the fence and headed over.

I knocked on the door and heard French say "come".  French was cradling his guitar and sipping out of a tiny china tea cup.  So was his girlfriend.  She was sitting on this little cot, under a couple of army surplus sleeping-bags. She giggled and said: "I'm naked".

I tried to play it cool and said: "cool". 

Actually, this was not a rare scene with French, but the tea was.  He had a metal tea pot steaming on his old caboose wood stove.  He offered me a mug of tea.  Then he reached under the covers and pulled out a huge plastic bottle of Amaretto.  French poured a generous amount into my tea.  It was delicious, and tasted like blueberries.

French and I chatted for a bit and sipped our tea.  At one point naked girl said: "I'm naked"...again.

I finished my tea and headed back out into the cold.

French and Naked Girl stayed in.

4 comments:

Fisheye Lens said...

Great Eastern Ontario story.

Too bad "Naked Girl" wasn't there to keep me warm the night the diesel geled -- we left them all back at the Crossroads.

Human Paradox said...

Sounds like a tea ceremony to me. The naked girl must be the Roshi.

New Drink: Smith Falls Steamer:
1 bag Orange Pekoe tea
1 bag of Lemon Ginger tea
1oz of Jameson Whiskey
-add a spoonful of honey
-mix into a big cup with hot water

sit back and drive it inta' ya.

Willow said...

Great visual. The dark, the cold, the smoke, the light, the naked girl under 2 sleeping bags, and spiked tea.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This entire poem, and the scene relayed are - cool! I love the names - French and Pancake:)