Thursday 13 January 2011

Truck Luck

Bruce Fish called me on his rotary phone (still uses this ancient medium...says it "keeps him honest") to give me an update.  I don't see him often in the winter, and his calls are very rare; let me paraphrase the details...

He has a new job; or at least new responsibilities.  Bruce Fish has been given a rural route garbage run.  He picks up trash in between Sharbot Lake and Parham.  The best part, and the part that he was excited about, was that he got to keep the truck at his place.  So he has been taking Rose and the baby to the Methodist Church in the garbage truck.  Says it "shocks the shit" outta the churchy types.  He laughed and said: "Don't worry Ollie I'll never let religion get in the way of my faith, but Rose she likes the Church".  Fair enough.

There's more.  He'd done such a good job on the garbage runs that the county let him moonlight on the Snowplough.  So he's been making some good dough.  Bruce Fish was abuzz.  He said that people flash their porch lights when he goes by with the plough, folks waves and honk too. 

Bruce Fish finished with this comment just before his typical abrupt hang-up, that I've gotten used too: "This truck luck is 'effin great.  Best part: people like me now".


16 comments:

all ways 11 o'clock said...

i just "effin" love this story.

~robert

Fisheye Lens said...

Used to love when the snow plow came through and made hills for us to toboggan down and play King of the Mountain, a social Darwinist preparation for the disenchanted world of adult disillusionment.

Anonymous said...

truck luck. nice.
your blogs are sweeter than the maple syrup of lanark.
mdog

Human Paradox said...

Guys like Bruce Fish are the true staples of community...and I don't mean "community" like "neighborhood."

Andreas said...

Thanks for making me laugh. It's kinda dreary where I am right now so I need it. Best of luck to Bruce Fish on his new job. It's nice of him to go along with Rose to church. I know what a waste of time that can be. He must really love her.

Woman in a Window said...

I laughed. And then I cried. Is it because I have woman parts? The end, "This truck luck is 'effin great. Best part: people like me now". Jezuz. Life writes itself, although I suspect you had a hand in it.

good to read you,
erin

Lisa notes... said...

I love visiting your blog because I get things here that I don't get elsewhere. Go, Bruce Fish! Would love to meet him--and you. I'm guessing never a dull moment.

Test said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shosannah said...

"I'll never let religion get in the way of my faith,"
Me neither.
Bruce sounds like a solid sort :)
Wish there were more "Bruces" garbage truck and all at church.

Brian Miller said...

never let religeon get in the way of my faith....nice...great story....

happygirl said...

Go Fish. Gotta love the truck luck. :)

SherrieSt.Hilaire said...

Wow...how real and gritty and effin honest. "People like me now." Isn't that it?

My first read today! I'll be back! ( "

path of treasure said...

Love the story!

Mommy Emily said...

only fish could make a garbage truck so cool. seriously i love this guy. and rosie. they are becoming family.

Misty said...

Great story.. put a smile on my face.

Cindy said...

I think there is a Bruce Fish in our hometown! I loved every word of this!