Monday 7 February 2011

garage band



French, and Sweaty have played music their whole lives.  I've heard them both say: "don't remember when I didn't know a C chord".  Pancake is another natural.  He picked up guitar and drums in a matter of months.  Bruce Fish rounded out the gang because he had the most records and tapes.  All old - all a bit dump musty, but he had 'em.

The lads used to hand  me a spare guitar and teach me one chord, and a simple rhythm.  I never even had to move my fingers.  French would nod at me when to come in and nod again to stop.  I, in a very limited way, helped to fill out their sound when they jammed.

I finally bought a guitar of my own in second year of university.  Turned out I knew most chords, not by name, but by shape - from "jamming" with the boys back home.  I could watch people's hands when they played and replicate the movements.  Weird way to learn.

I've been playing ever since...barre chords, blues, power chords, open chords...still don't know the names.

This weekend French slapped  me on the back when we were jamming around the kitchen table, laughed,  and said:  "Dude it took yuh twenty years, but you're good enough to join our high school garage band".

Bruce Fish looked up from his National Geographic magazine and said: "Now all you need is a time-machine".

Truth

4 comments:

Fisheye Lens said...

Yes, all you need is a time machine, or a hot tub.

Anonymous said...

Nice story Ollie. Pancake and a C chord - good name for a song. These need publication.
-mdog

Human Paradox said...

Yes FE has it right - a Hot Tub Time Machine! Though garage rock is ageless - so you might just be fine to plug in, raise the doors, and let Farmer Miller next door get a blast of Tom Wilson's "Pearly White."

RJ Clarken said...

Time machine - yep. That says it all. If you accompany it with some nice chords. Really wonderful!