Tuesday 24 May 2011

Of Two Fours and Rapture


Talk of the rapture was a hot topic all weekend.  No earthquakes, no multitudes vanishing in the blink of an eye.  Just a typical May long weekend.  The lads and I stood our ground and acted like good Canadians and socked into a 2-4 as it was the sacred May 2-4 weekend.

French, Sweaty, Pancake and I were all discussing the good times we were going to have on the new earth or in Heaven.  We are a bit sketchy on the details, despite years and years of Sunday school.  Mostly we talked about how we were all going to hang out and jam with Johnny Cash, Bono, and John Bonham.  Or how we were going write poems and roam around with Kerouac.  And I'd take my little brother out fishing everyday. We laughed, we toasted and clinked beers.  Then we'd launch into another round of which old saints we'd be pals with in Heaven.

Bruce Fish kept silent the whole time.  A little after 6:00 Rose stopped looking up to the sky.  No rapture. She'd been alternating between looking skywards or glaring at us.  She picked up her Bible, and her baby and stormed off  to their dump truck.

French asked him what was up with Rose.

Bruce Fish took a last swig of his beer and said:  "she just wants to meet Jesus".




14 comments:

happygirl said...

This was perfect.

Heather Mattern said...

It does seem that Rapture is on everyones thoughts right now. Great post :)

tinuviel said...

Have to say, I'm with Rose on that one (the wanting to meet Jesus part, not the storming off).

My mom was just telling me that when she showed up at swim class Monday one fellow looked at her surprised and quipped, "So you're still here?"

Unknown said...

I love Johnny Cash and Bono, so I hope I get to play, too! I really appreciate how you were sympathetic to Rose even in all of her glorious huff of an exit..."she just wants to meet Jesus."

Good stuff :)

Bethany Ann said...

awesome.
so do i.

Unknown said...

in that singular, last line, you capture the essence of it all, in some sense.

efficiently powerful. great piece...

Jodi said...

Thanks for this Ollie. me too Rose.

Joybird said...

I am well and truly humbled. I've been so annoyed at this whole rapture countdown thing. Annoyed at how stupid it makes us seem. Annoyed at ignoring that scripture where Jesus says no man knows the hour. Annoyed at those who already don't believe mocking that thought of His return. And at no point in that did my heart even whisper in harmony with Rose's, I just want to meet Jesus. Her disappointment convicts me. In a good way.

Mommy Emily said...

oh wow.

this made me catch my breath.
to long, that hard, to meet Jesus... to want him, more than the world...

yes.

HopeUnbroken said...

all smiles. . . . i can picture her, even though i don't know her. and, yes, it's easy to feel a bit put out when you've waited and want something that badly :-) at least there is hope in the waiting.
i loved this read.

Kati patrianoceu said...

good point. very good point. I have to admit, I fear the thought of a rapture, and most people I know do too, I think! There's nothing to fear, is there?!

Brandee Shafer said...

I want to meet Him, too, but I'm not ready to give up this life with my beloved and my babies. I wonder if that means I'm not close enough?

Brandee Shafer said...

I've been thinking SO MUCH about this post and wrote a little about it, today: http://brandeeshafer.blogspot.com/2011/05/prediction-may-21-2011.html. Thank you!

Human Paradox said...

Always liked Jesus, too bad his old man was always bringing him down. Great story OO.