Thursday 8 September 2011

King Nick

King Nick

Last May French and I were watching the Alumni Soccer Game with some of our students.  French was teaching Phys Ed to a class of students with Down Syndrome.  There was a light misty rain falling; everything was damp.  There was a broken chair in a tangled jumble by the fence.  The students all wanted to use it to keep them off the wet ground.

A couple of my students kept trying to put it together, but they all failed.  The chair leg kept slipping, and it would topple over with them in it...sorta funny; and maybe more entertaining then the game.  They heaved it back by the fence, and ignored it.

A few minutes later I took this picture of Nick from French's class.  He'd managed to fix it properly, and had the best seat in the house.  He struck this pose and said "I'm King Nick".


Posted To:





9 comments:

Rachelle said...

The year before I married, I helped out in a class of students with Down Syndrome. They were all little kings and queens, and I loved every one of them. That's awesome.

Square Corner said...

I like King Nick. Wished I knew him. You're also King of the short prose. This has lots of heart, Olly.

Bethany Ann said...

oh man, i've gotta get you the link to my hubby's blog... he works for d.d. peeps, and this one was a quote...

http://troublespelling.blogspot.com/2011/09/dinosaur.html

he was trying to comment on my blog today, but he accidentally started his own! wrote 32 posts!

Human Paradox said...

Great story Olie. I guess you meet some of the real characters on the job.

Brandee Shafer said...

Yes! Persistence!

Lisa notes... said...

All hail King Nick. :-) Glad he succeeded.

ninotaziz said...

What a king! What a positive outlook!

Unknown said...

I love this story. As a former special ed. teacher, these stories bring light to my heart.

Mommy Emily said...

this kid rocks my world. and one day you should post a picture of french! :)