Tuesday 30 August 2011

French's Bible


French and Bruce Fish were having a pretty good day.  They had found an old suit complete with a sharp fedora.  They decided to dress up one of the robots from last summer as Frank Sinatra.  It was pretty great, lots of people swung by and complimented "the art".  Bruce Fish set up a record player and played some old Rat Pack records.

Rose Fish came by for her usual morning coffee and bible study.  She saw the new art project and said: "I Did it My Way" was the theme song of hell.  I've never seen French get mad at Rose before, but he just got up and stormed off.

He left his bible on an old crate.  I've seen it many times, but I never really looked through it before.  There were many photos, notes, poems, hockey cards and even dried leaves inside. There were also quite a few items from churches services of note: marriages, funerals, and baptisms (all of them from many years ago). One of the photos is us on Canada Day when we were still in our teens.

French picked it up later at the cottage; he shoved it under his truck seat.

Posted to Imperfect Prose

9 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

A snippet of life. Thanks for letting us peak in.

Brandee Shafer said...

Rose is my fave ever since she got disappointed that Harold Camping was wrong.

erin said...

confirmed, this is real. and real fricken beautiful too, isn't it?

xo
erin

Anonymous said...

This makes me want to start stuffing thing in my bible, photos, notes. Your writing is brilliant. I enjoy stopping by

happygirl said...

I love French. I think he is my favorite.

Mommy Emily said...

my bible is much the same way... a holder of life and heart. just like your posts, ollie...

Bethany Ann said...

only the most special things get shoved under truck seats like that.

Cindy said...

I would like French - and Rose, too...people in relationships...and French holds his relationships deep - a picture from teen years...a special memory tucked deep into the heart as well as the Bible...

You are gifted with your words!

Rachelle said...

I have no idea who these people are, as this is my first visit, but I am loving Rose. She made me laugh my head off. I hate that song.