Friday 20 January 2012

Bob Bateau

I met someone that I've wanted to meet for a long time this morning. Being Canadian, it was at Tim Hortons.

There is this guy that runs from Orleans, in the east end of Ottawa, all the way past St.Laurent street. I drive past him daily. This is a run of over 20km; twice a day, every work day. Today was -17 with a windchill of -27. He was still running to work.

His name is Bob Bateau. He is an acquaintance of Pancake's Dad, so I knew a little bit of information along with his name. Pancake's Dad told me that he is an ultra marathon runner. Bob will actually enter events where you run for 24 hours straight.

We were in line and I chatted with him for a bit and then asked him if he ever went into a meditative, mystical, or spiritual state while running these great distances.

He looked at me like I was mental and said: "No I just run."

5 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Was he fidgety? I imagine him sort of bouncing on his toes as he's waiting in line at Timmy's.

Brandee Shafer said...

Man. Don't you just hate when you brush all up against an answer for which you've been waiting 5 million years, and you get nothing? Denied. I'd totally want to pick that guy's brain, too.

temporal rooms said...

i think Bob answered yes to your question.
great bit Ollie.

~robert

erin said...

ollie. i jump on both of you to hug you. mental, yes. of course. both of you.

xo
erin

Matt McKechnie said...

Nice one, Oll. The Bob Bateaus of this world drive things onward.