Thursday 26 January 2012

Why Rose is Sad

All I said was: "Why is Rose so Sad?"

French looked at me.  Took a long swig of his Miller Lite and explained.

Rose lived at home with two of her three brothers and her mother.  Her dad was killed when she was a little kid. Her older sister had left home to go to college; early childhood education, I think.  Her oldest brother was off working - out of province.  Her mother got sick when Rose was 16 and went into the hospital.  She'd been working under the table and lost her job when she stopped showing up to work.  With no rent they lost the house.

One of her brothers went off to live with the oldest brother out east.  The youngest brother was 15 and he went "couch surfing".  Roses's mother went into a women's shelter.  Rose wanted to keep going to school so she moved into a friend's basement.

He continued after a long pause and the rest of his beer:

They have never been together as a complete family again.  Rose's family is scattered across the country.

5 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Someone should bring them all together again. A surprise reunion.

Brandee Shafer said...

Wow. And here I was feeling sorry for myself because I missed my very first Christmas (in 38 years) with my dad. Then again, maybe I was feeling sorrier for myself because he didn't seem to much care.

Mommy Emily said...

this makes me sad :( i wish i could give rose a hug.

erin said...

everyone with a story of sadness. some stories heavier than others.

all it takes is for someone to ask.

xo
erin

temporal rooms said...

it is good they have each other
and we have them through you my friend.
we are family.

~robert