Tuesday 3 April 2012

Tricked Out

A colleague asked me if I had done any tricks on the morn of April Fools.  I told him I was all tricked out. He asked me to "explain".

One summer when French and I were working up at Camp IAWAH we made a pledge, born of boredom, to not go to sleep unless we had pulled a prank.

It started out with really intense pranks:

- cement blocking the director's door shut
- filling a whole building with fresh cut brush, and tree branches
- installing four door bells in hidden places in the LIT's building - we rang them all night, until they found them
- juice crystals in the water heater - nice fruity shower
- canoes filled with water and fish in the dining hall
- kayaks hung out of the main lodge windows, three stories up
- we'd get all the campers to catch frogs all day (188 of them) - then put them in the female staff dorm
- wet and then freeze other staff's clothes - then hand the frozen clothes out during a lost and found blitz
- and many many more...

The list goes on and on.  Eventually we just got tired of it.  It became work...tiring work.  Sometimes we'd wake each other up and begrudgingly get up and pull a prank of sorts.  The next summer we couldn't even be persuaded to pull one prank.  We were retired.

Every now and then we consider doing a prank, or at least a minor rib, but so far we are still "tricked out".

4 comments:

happygirl said...

Hilarious pranks. They do sound like a lot of work. That's why you prank those you love. 'cause it's work. :)
I taught my son to short sheet a bed when he was 14. He still remembers. It was fun to remake my bed Sunday night.

Kat Mortensen said...

I guess so! You big meanies!

My most successful prank was to make random calls and ask people to collect brown paper bags in order to win a trip to Hawaii. We called one person back and they were seriously rounding up bags!
#thegoodolddays

Brandee Shafer said...

How did the others receive the pranks? Were they ticked off or amused? Did they know you and French were to blame?

Kat Mortensen said...

Forgot to mention we were instructing the to take them to a nearby grocery store to collect their prize.