Monday 7 May 2012

Slipping Youth, Art, and MCA



Everyone has called me old Ollie for years...read good ol'Ollie, or maybe it is for alliteration.  Lately, I've been feeling that it is becoming a more suitable name.

I felt this hard on Friday when Adam (MCA) Yauch died.  I've been a Beastie Boys fan since their first single.  I used to blast their songs in my basement as a teen (sorry mom).  I've followed their career and own every album, and DVD they put out.  I even wore out Paul's Boutique, and had to replace it.  A few years ago I even saw them in concert, and it was an amazing dynamic show.

I was wondering why I felt so down about a guy I never met dying.  My first thought was that I had lost a key part of my youth.  My wife had another idea.  She says that I was connected to his art, so in a sense I knew Adam in an intimate way.  So his death is a significant and personal  loss.  She is a wise woman.

I really admire MCA.  He created great eclectic original music, and videos.  Adam was a true artist, and most of all an innovator. So God bless him, his family, friends and fans.


2 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

I don't really know this band/music, but I can relate to what you're saying. I really grieved when Whitney Houston died; I played her self-titled cassette over and over, when I was 16. And I guess everyone in the whole world suffered a broken heart when Johnny Cash died. I'm sorry you're sad.

Human Paradox said...

I hear this Olie. A true Bodhisattva. A chunk of my musical consciousness taken somewhere else.