Tuesday 23 October 2012

The Big 4-O

My wife threw a nice little party on Saturday to celebrate my impending 40th birthday.  We enjoyed four kinds of pizza and lots of Beau's Beer.  I really didn't want to do anything. I didn't want any recognition of this so called "big-day".  Somehow I thought if I ignore this birthday it will somehow not happen, but it happened: I'm 40.  Getting older beats the alternative...right?

It was a good time.  After a few beers I even started to at least tolerate all the ribbing.  I was hit hard by all the cliches: the big 4-O, over the hill, middle-age man, mid life crisis, and on and on.  I survived the event, and now can recharge nice and quite, and just contemplate being forty.

Of all the jokes leveled at me one stands out.  French said that I was 4 and O; 4 wins - 0 loses.  I'll take that.

6 comments:

Sheila said...

I;ll have to tell my husband about the wins and losses. he had a hard time with 40 this year also.

happygirl said...

Happy Birthday. Trust me, 40 is a cake walk. Just wait until the next decade. Cheers!

Brandee Shafer said...

Happy Birthday, Friend. I'm on your heels by 1.5 years. I don't know about you, but my 30s were gorgeous compared to my 20s. I can only hope that the decades continue to bring depth and promise for both of us. May God richly bless this year of your life.

erin said...

happy birthday, ollie. (that's all?!!!! that's it? thought you were old ollie.)

40 was nothing but freedom for me. 41 was even better. 42 has been the best so far.

xo
erin

Square Corner said...

Happy b-day Mr. 4-0!
Beats me at Mr. 5-5!

Kat Mortensen said...

My husband just had his 5 wins; 0 losses. He got a tattoo and a Honda sport-bike for himself ( with his "old lady's" blessing, of course)!
Many happy returns, Ollie! ( In the Revenue Canada sense.)

Kat