Friday 23 November 2012

Japan Dan

Every now and again we run into a guy called Japan Dan.  Sometimes our circle of friends overlaps.  French has always had a grudging respect for him, but they have had some heated arguments over the years.  They once almost came to blows over who was a better guitarist Eddie Van Halen or Neil Young. Another time Japan Dan got us (snuck us) into an exclusive party at a club. French refers to him as a "cool guy".  Every time they meet they shake hands in a really formal way.

Japan Dan is also a really talented guitar player, chef, and photographer.  French and I saw him a few times last year when some mutual friends were playing some shows, so we've had the chance to reconnect, to a degree, after many years.  His latest project is a really cool time lapse video of Ottawa (Ontario, Canada).  Dan also wrote, performed, and mixed the song that accompanies the video.

Dan dedicated the film to his parents.  His parents gave me my first teaching job at Redeemer Christian High School; I'm sure they're proud.

Check it out friends: 

11 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

Well, now. The images are AMAZING. And the song is one of those that gets stuck in the head. Baby Chip liked it, too. He got really still and quiet.

happygirl said...

Home Again... I just got back from visiting my parents. I wish I was from Ottawa (haha). LOVED the skies in the time-lapse images. The clouds are just mesmerizing. Thank for this post and link.

Kath said...

Thanks Ollie and Japan Dan, that was beautiful. The skies, the evolving light, the water... I feel like I met Ottawa, introduced by a friend who loves her.
Cheers

Kati Woronka said...

wow, that's incredible! I love the changing skies... especially when sunsets were involved. The little caption below where it says he wanted to create something beautiful. Well he did.

Brian Miller said...

dude...that was an awesome video...loved the sights and the song was perfect as well...very nice....

Lisa notes... said...

Listened. Loved. Both the pictures and the music. I agree with French: Japan Dan is a cool guy, at least from the angle I can see.

Carrie Van Horn said...

What an amazing song! You walk in amazing circles Ollie!! :-)

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

Japan Dan was cool - thanks for the link.

Unknown said...

What an amazing video and song, My son (10) and I enjoyed this! Thanks for posting!

Mommy Emily said...

LOVE. sent it to my brother who lives in ottawa. good job japan dan!

Raining Iguanas said...

That was a great compilation and what a great dedication to his parents. I especially enjoyed the boat going through the lock. Thank you for sharing this and also for your kind words on my blog.