Wednesday 6 March 2013

Worship Team

My church worship leader said that she was "stuck"; as she had no guitarists for the service.  She asked me if I could help out.  I agreed, but she wanted to know if I knew anyone else.  I said, "that I knew a guy, but he likely wouldn't play."  I was wrong. French said yes. Well his exact answer was: "sure whatever".

So French and I led the music team.  French and I did some brief prep and then we just jumped into it.  I've heard him play plenty of Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin, but never Chris Tomlin and Hillsong United.  He did great.  He said his goal was to hit 80% of the notes and chords (he did better than that).  I even heard him belt out the lyrics; especially in the choruses.

French is a really organic and kinetic player.  So his foot was tapping, head bobbing, and body swaying.  He plays like this even when he is alone. This is how he keeps time, and he just tends to really get into music.  French asked me if he looked too weird bopping around.  I told him it was "all good".

After the service a lady came up to him, smiled and said that "he rocked it today".

I think the Redeemer Worship Team may have a new member, or two.

9 comments:

happygirl said...

Oh, I hope so. I'm so glad you asked him to play. :)

Terri D said...

Awesome!

Brandee Shafer said...

Proud of y'uns, and how are the Fish? Praying for them.

Shelly Miller said...

A simple ask is all it takes isn't it? We make community seems so hard and sometimes it's just organic.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love Shelly's comments...ideally yes communities should be organic.

Josh said...

I enjoy working with musicians who play "worldly tunes", because I like those too. :-) Did French play electric or acoustic?

Jennifer Dougan said...

Hi Old Ollie,

My husband is a drummer, and is often bobbing along to music too. I enjoyed picturing you and French playing just now.

Thanks for stopping by my post "Hypocrisy and French Onion Soup." I know I stumbled and stammered too live. This just captures it without as many stammers for ease of reading. I am just as often caught with a blank look after hard questions, saying, "That's a great question, and I have no idea." :)

Fun to ponder life's questions with others... Thanks for stopping by.

Jennifer Dougan
www.jenniferdougan.com

Mommy Emily said...

oh French :) i love how he grooves to the spirit, even when he's alone.

ayala said...

Nice :)