Wednesday 14 April 2021

Hope

It has been a long year...or so.  My mental health has been up, and really really down over this time.  Amazingly, my friend Rose has stayed positive throughout.  It is hard to fathom how she does it.   Rose and her husband Bruce Fish live in the middle of nowhere.  He operates the township dump, and works for the county doing minor road maintenance, driving the garbage truck, and plowing snow every winter.   They may be the happiest couple I know.

It'll be pouring cold rain, and she'll be helping Bruce sort recycling with a smile on her face.   I've asked her many times: "what's the secret?"  Rose has two standard answers.  Sometimes she'll just say "hope".  Her other answer is the poetic phrase "on eagles wings". 

Last summer we had a rare visit from a bald eagle out at the lake.  Rose smiled bigger than usual when it landed just across the narrows, then took off and flew right over us later in the day.

I made her this graphic and printed her some note cards.  She even wrote me a letter with one; catching me up on family news.

7 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Like Emiliy Dickison said
"'Hope' is the thing with feathers / That perches in the soul / And sings the tune without the words / And never stops - at all."

Happy Wednesday. Thank you for dropping by to read mine

Much💛love

Jim said...

This was a fun and interesting, to me it seems to be true. I was surprised that the Fisks would be doing the recycle sorting work. During our blessed lives we sometimes forget that it doesn't take a white shirt to enjoy being alive. I have worn both pairs of shoes, when I dropped out of college the job I found was at a watch factor, I felt I was not college material and would be working with my hands instead of my head. Then, being drafted into the US Army, I was 3rd high in a 43 week radar and computer electronics school, two warrant officers beat me out of a class of 40 some GI's. So I decided that perhaps I wasn't dumb after all. Since then I finished college with three degrees, the last a graduate degree. Oh yes, four of our kids are college educated and the youngest is a boatman in the Longshore Union who ties up shops at the docks. He merges good with all although most of his friends aren't college educated. His 'girl friend' is a registered nurse with a bachelor's degree. I think the small town areas are more of a blue and white collared folk mixture.
..
..

Old Egg said...

This is such a delightful account where the reader finds themselves right there with the writer viewing each scene and meeting the characters. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rommy said...

She sounds like a lovely person. It makes me smile to know there are folks like that out there. Admittedly, it has been a lot harder for me after the passing of my best friend.

indybev said...

An interesting story, and proof that material things are not a necessity for happiness. Abraham Lincoln said "Every man is about as happy as he wants to be".

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I think, for some people, happiness can be inborn. What blessings they are to everyone else around them! I loved your story, and I think your hope-eagle graphic is wonderful, perfect!

grapeling said...

a lovely card and story ~