Wednesday 28 April 2021

Dought

 

The township dump where my friend Bruce works is only open one or twice a week (depending on the season).  He loves nothing more than wandering around and sorting through the modern debris on his days off.  I've told this story before, but he often takes bits and pieces and creates art with it.  The one piece that really made me laugh was the giant teddy bear sitting in a lawn chair wearing a sombrero. He'd occasionally add to his little art installation and make it more elaborate as the summer wore on.  I drove by once and saw several BMW and Mercedes cars parked by the dump taking photos with Bruce's hilarious creation.  I guess it was perfect for selfies.

This past winter someone dropped off a a huge sign.  It was around 9 or ten feet long, and maybe five feet high.  It just had the word DOUBT printed on it.  I can't imagine why?  It sat up against the dump fence for a while.  Then one day Bruce took a role of black duct tape and tore off some strips and taped over the UBT.  He threw me the tape and said "there fixed that 'effin thing". 

I have a sticker collection in my office on an old metal cabinet.  I added this one in a prominent spot.

8 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Dumps can be do-ing places for those who have imaginations. For most people, however, they are doubtful spaces. Love Bruce's reworking of the sign. DOUBT = DO. Yes!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Nice transition!

Graham Lester said...

Your friend out-doubted the sign maker.

Lisa said...

Wise correction.

Rommy said...

I've seen some real wild and inventive art made from salvaged items. Nervous Nellie's on Deer Isle Maine comes to mind (come for the jellies, stay to explore the cool artwork).

indybev said...

I love this story. I think I should like to meet your friend with the creative sense of humor!

Jim said...

I have scrounged around in dumps, I still have some things that I rescued. A big ceramic jug for one.
..

Jenna said...

I enjoyed your story.