Tuesday 18 October 2011

Mean Dean and Bruce Fish

Mean Dean did the rounds as long as I can remember.  He'd stroll around school shoving people into lockers, stealing milk money (45 cents from everyone), and every Halloween he seemed to terrorize the whole town.  I got off paying him my milk money because of French, but I still had him bully me from time to time; before French and I started to hang-out more regularly in high-school.

I managed to keep my Halloween candy one year because I held on for dear life to my extremely full pillowcase of candy.  Luckily a police car swung by and I sprinted home.  Another time I was fighting Mean Dean and pushed him over a chain that surrounded a garden.  He fell into some juniper bushes.  I was on the run from him for the next coupla months.

Mean Dean eventually became an ally, but he was not a fun guy to be around in Junior High.  I asked him once why he never beat up or bullied Bruce Fish.  I thought it was because of French's protection.  Mean Dean said that that was not the reason.  He said, "The real reason is that when we said the Lord's Prayer in class Bruce Fish was the only one with his eyes closed and his head bowed. I just couldn't beat up guy like that."




8 comments:

HopeUnbroken said...

not much more to be said about that, eh? smart guy, if you ask me.

Brian Miller said...

smiles. genuine...and that matters...

Connie Smiley said...

A lot of encouragement is embedded in that story. Thank you.

Lisa notes... said...

Love this story. We never know how our protection may come, just through Whom. Great post.

happygirl said...

Wow, respect for the faithful. God is good. Your stories never fail to give me hope in our fellow man. I have difficulty with hope in our fellow man, so, thanks.

Mommy Emily said...

oh wow. this made me tear up at the end. i wasn't expecting to get so emotional. :) now i like fish more than ever.

Bethany Ann said...

meekness.

Misty said...

Love this.. respect.