Tuesday 11 October 2011

Of Church and Parking Lot Smokes


This was a very different Thanksgiving than usual. Everyone came back home; from Ottawa to Kingston and beyond.  (Everyone: French, Sweaty, Bruce and Rose Fish, Pancake and even me.)  There has always been at least one of us missing in action over the last twenty years.  Even more impressive is that somehow Rose got us all out of bed and to Church for a 9:15 service.  Ouch.

All us lads had been in Renfrew at a independent wrestling event and had gotten home just after 1:00 am.  Rose must be a saint.

This old church holds a lot of memories, but it was so strange to look around the congregation and see faces that were now twenty years older.  I did the usual routine of standing, sitting, and saying Amen at the appropriate times, but mostly I tried to see who I knew from the old days.

Around 9:45 I realized that French was missing.  He must have ducked out during one of the hymns.

The pastor seemed pretty stoked to have such a big turn out and made the most of it by preaching until 10:36.  Man I was tired.  When he finally said the benediction I went outside to look for French.

I found him in the parking lot. He had the tail gate down on his truck and was sitting there having a smoke.  I asked him if he was bored waiting for us he said, "no."

No?

He explained: "Yeah some guy, called himself an elder, followed me out and we had a chat."

I asked: "What about?"

French exhaled then said: "community."



10 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

Betcha French taught the elder a good bit, on the subject.

Fisheye Lens said...

Nothing wrong with tailgating on a Sunday morning. Football only comes around any given Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is what John the Revelator was refering to when he spoke of fire and brimstone. He must of been talking about smokes and beer.

P00T

Anonymous said...

I want to be like that elder...except younger.

Brian Miller said...

haha...french i am sure shared a good bit of wisdom that day...i hear you on this...

Bethany Ann said...

ya gotta love an elder who leaves a sermon to make sure you're doing okay.

happygirl said...

I would have loved to be a fly in that truck bed. Wisdom for sure.

Lisa notes... said...

Another great story. Good for French; good for the elder.

Cindy said...

tailgating, smokes, community, conversation...all in the church parking lot...and isn't that what church is for!

Mommy Emily said...

wow. sweaty? you'll have to tell us more about him. love it ollie. love how you and fish and the elder and rose and pancake and sweaty will all be in heaven with me one day. tail-gating. :)