Tuesday 22 November 2011

Crying


Tough guys don't cry - they make people cry. Sounds like a t-shirt that Mean Dean would wear. Words to live by right?

Once Pancake came up to me at my locker and said that French had "lost it". He said that French was sitting in his shed crying. That sounded a bit off. I couldn't imagine French crying. Something really bad must have happened.

I cut class, yet again, and walked over to French's place. Sure enough he was in his shed. There was music playing: Johnny Cash. I knocked and he let me in. I went in and shut the door. He didn't say anything. French just sat slumped on his handmade bunk. When the tape ended he'd flip it over and listen to the other side. We listened to the same Johnny Cash tape all afternoon.

I guess on some of the songs his eyes looked a bit moist.



Addendum

I try not to listen to too much Johnny Cash (Rick Rubin days, or My Mother's Hymnbook) when I know I'll be in public.




14 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

It takes me back just to read those words, "when the tape ended". I spent a great amount of time flipping tapes, in my day. I'm the last of the original, vinyl-generation and even carted around a box of 8-tracks in the car.
Also, I'm a big Johnny Cash fan and if you don't know the "Murder" album, you need to have a listen, pronto!

Kat

Scott Scene said...

Nothing like Cash to cure the blues.... Or get you into them.

Anonymous said...

From time to time, I too, feel "A Sunday morning coming down".

Poot

Blue Cotton Memory said...

Sometimes those songs say what our hearts can't - and there is blessing in that! What a blessing to have a friend who knows how to just sit there with you:)

Brian Miller said...

smiles. i feel you man...there are certain songs that take me places...and real men, they still cry...

melyssa said...

There's no one like Johnny. :)

Lisa notes... said...

My 16-year-old sang "Folsom Prison Blues" with her grandfather at a nursing home yesterday. Made me happy. :-)

Brandee Shafer said...

Johnny Cash's _The Christmas Spirit_ has to be my favorite: "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day," "Here Was a Man," "The Little Drummer Boy," "Ringing the Bells for Jim," "We Are the Shepherds," etc. I've been blessed to hear this music every year of my life and first on a 78; my parents love this album! And I love it to the point that it truly feels like part of who I am.

The Orange Tree said...

moving,
blessings.

Anonymous said...

Great read. Even though this story has a sad note, it made me miss those times. Sheds, friends, listening to tapes. It all seemed so natural, makes me hope kids in this digital age still take the time to be with each other.

-Bob

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh that Johnny Cash. I love the scene painted here - the adorable face in the childhood photo, when you know all the tough times he went through later,the music listened to in silence, to honor him......the times which felt like they had more heart than these times do.......I was sitting right there with you two.

Mommy Emily said...

such a solid write, ollie. i always knew french was a softy. :) (i'm a bit confused; are you "the tired monk" as well? ...)

Daydreamertoo said...

Awww music does have a way of churning up all the old memories, happy or sad.
Couldn't find your blog until I did a google search, as you'd only left your email address and not your blogsite to click on.
This is lovely.

chandler home security systems said...

Real men cries. And im a firm believer on that.