Tuesday 15 November 2011

The Guitar Lesson

French can play guitar.  He often says: "I don't remember a time when I didn't know a C chord."  I believe him.  His dad had him and Sweaty jamming all the time.  There was an abundance of musical instruments in their house: drums, guitars, a bass, a piano, a banjo, a mandolin, and various other small percussion instruments.

French's dad loved nothing better than to pack his kitchen and jam out.  He would hand out cold beers and instruments.  If you couldn't play, he'd hand you a shaker or a pot to bang on.  These were totally great moments.  If his dad was too tired, we'd do the same thing in the shed.

There came a time though that I wanted to play guitar; I'd had enough of pot and pans. I tried to get French to teach me.  He wasn't the most patient guy, but he finally gave me a lesson.  He took my pick and tossed it into my guitar.  I looked at him in disbelief.  This is my lesson?

He then showed me how to get it out in seconds.  I have to admit it works every time.  So my first guitar lesson was a damn fine one.

This video reveals the method:






12 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

It wasn't your only lesson, was it? Did you become a guitar man?

Cindy said...

Well, love the story and the video (yes, I did click and watch, as if I didn't know the method!)...

Too funny, and as always, entertaining...

janae said...

Life is in the details. Love your stories.

Brian Miller said...

smiles...it is a good trick to start with...the basics you know...smiles.

Unknown said...

this will get you out of jam, quick! :) love it.

danrdavidson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
danrdavidson said...

damn fine indeed. many valuable minutes have been wasted 'cause of poor pick rescue methods.
cool story...love is in the house and the house is packed

Human Paradox said...

Oh man. Done like a pro. I usually end up shaking the thing until my arse cramps up.

Mommy Emily said...

sigh. i want to be in that kitchen, making music with french and sweaty and french's dad. i like a good beer too. sounds like a fine time indeed.

Bethany Ann said...

HA! i watched the video first, then got to read your blog about it. made it even better.

Scott Scene said...

Tried it out. Can't believe it was that easy!

Cherie Seldon said...

Father and son jamming and bonding over music? That's adorable! So, your first guitar lesson went just fine. How were the succeeding guitar lessons under French tutelage? There are tutorials online that you can learn from, or if you really want to become a guitar man, you can always hire a professional mentor. Cherie @ HamRockMusic.com