Wednesday 28 March 2012

the Long Haul

Maybe envy is too strong of a word; maybe it is isn't, but some days I dream of climbing up into my rig and going on a long haul out to the west coast.  Just the dream of a terrible introvert that spends the day in seething sea of teens.

Pancake's dad has this life.  He  is a truck driver.  In the morning of a long haul he'll slip his leather Bible under his driver's seat (a ritual that French picked-up from him).  Then he'll load in the cooler and a stack of tapes, and CD's.  Miles and miles of roads, cities, and a million songs.

I have to admit that all this "alone time", has made him a bit weird, but a good weird.  He comes back with heaps of stories gathered from every state and province.  When he gets back he'll decompress and sleep a bit.  Pancake's dad is on Facebook and his status updates are more often then not about what meat he has slow roasting, and what beer he is drinking.  His latest one was: "If it is above 12 degrees swing by  - we'll hit the back deck.  Ribs/Sleeman's Cream Ale."

Next time I'm back home I'll check the thermometer and go have some ribs, and a cold pint on the back deck.

3 comments:

Brandee Shafer said...

I just want you to know: I have so much respect for teachers (and parents)...ESPECIALLY when they're introverts. I'm an extreme extrovert, and I managed to teach 6th grade in a public school for one whole year. I found it more painful than divorce. Truly. I'm still so proud that I made it through the year. It made me unwell. Now, I did (and still) have brilliant experiences teaching adults. I have a dear blogger friend who has seven children. She's homeschooled all of them, and she's an introvert. She said she wants desperately to escape, sometimes, to a hotel. I can't imagine. Kids (other people's AND my own) wear me out, and I can't stand to be alone. God bless.

Kat Mortensen said...

I dream of getting in the mini and going off to a woodsy retreat by myself . It'll never happen. Scratch that! I want to go live on a farm for a spell. ( introvert here too )

erin said...

i understand this. this kind of life would make sense to me. but alas, i'm a bad driver. as i drive i watch the trees, the birds, the light. i say, ohmygod, a lot and point. my kids shout at me, ohmygod, look at the light on the road up ahead! they try))

xo
erin