Monday 11 April 2011

Resurrection Suit

We dropped by the cottage to do a quick check: i.e. see if the beavers had felled trees, if the place had burned down, or been robbed (expectation management).  All was well; so we stopped into see Bruce and Rose Fish.

Bruce Fish had his usual stories to tell.  He'd found a whole garbage bag of suits: "still good".  We had a look, but we left them with him.  French snagged a tie.

French asked me to tell the story of how I once lost my brand new suit.  Bruce Fish hadn't heard this one, so I told them the story:

I went to my Grandfather's funeral in Edmonton.  He was in the hospital dying of cancer, and I slept in his vacant room.  He didn't make it, and we stayed on for the funeral.  On the day of the funeral my mom told me to get ready.  I couldn't find my suit anywhere.  I had to wear jeans and a rugby shirt to the church.  My mom was really mad.  My dad even told me off; which is really rare.

We walked by the open casket.  There was my grandfather looking pretty sharp in my new suit. 

My uncle had come home from the funeral home and gone through his closet. My suit was there and it looked new and also looked like it would fit him nicely.  He had lost a lot of weight and his frame was similar to my skinny 15 year old body. 

We were all chuckling at the crazy tale and Rose piped up: "You'll get it back."

We all looked at her...puzzled.

She continued: "at the resurrection."



Posted to: Imperfect Prose

19 comments:

Fisheye Lens said...

"You @&%*ed up too, Mel...maybe you can handle yourself one of them first class tickets to the Resurrection."

-Al Pacino, 1983

Stafford Ray said...

Great story! I can just see you resurected, trying to fit into a suit you wore at 15 too!!

Brian Miller said...

hehe...playful yet i think in the end they did not mind the loss of your suit...nice ollie

Unknown said...

After a semi-hard day, this made me smile. Thank you for that!

Christine said...

That was a fantastic story, I enjoyed this so so much. I personally have told my family to bury me in my pj's.

Kati patrianoceu said...

Oh that really is pretty funny! I can totally imagine how p'ed off your parents with you for showing up inappropriately dressed and then your feeling of vindication at a moment that was really supposed to be precious in other ways. Ha :)

happygirl said...

I LOVE this story. And, you told it so well. Thank you thank you thank you.

Unknown said...

sweet story. it's a good reminder to let the little things go that don't matter in the end anyway.

Jodi said...

Hahah loved this, Ollie. Bet your Grandpa looking on from Beaulah Land thought it was funny, too.

Cindy said...

This was great! Sounded a little like my family, you know?!!

Your storytelling reminds me of Garrison Keillor...and I love him too!

Joybird said...

I can only imagine the shock on all of your faces when you saw your Grandpa in your suit. Priceless. And resurrection suit...all I can say is it seems that Bruce Fish has found a wonderful match in Rose. Such original thinkers.

Joybird said...

And I agree with Cindy. How is your "radio" voice. I think I'd love to hear you tell these stories in a podcast.

Carrie Van Horn said...

This is priceless Ollie!!! :-)

Mommy Emily said...

ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!

"at the resurrection".... a perfect tale, perfectly told, ollie. well done, again!

Loni said...

Precious . . . we buried our son with a Bible we had wanted for Christmas but never got . . . one of our girls asked if he would have it at the Ressurection! :) Thanks for sharing!

alittlebitograce said...

You tell such great stories!

Connie said...

Wonderful story! Walking through the valley of the shadow is a bit easier when we allow the laughter to bubble up. Our hearts need tears and laughter to heal.

Human Paradox said...

In the afterlife, is every girl still crazy about a sharp dressed man Olie?

Bethany Ann said...

this is TOO GOOD!